The Bob Newhart Show was an American sitcom created by David Davis and Lorenzo Music for CBS. It ran for six seasons.
Bob Newhart plays Dr Robert Hartley, a psychologist based in Chicago. Each episode is split between Hartley's hectic home life and the time he spends with his various patients, including mean-spirited and neurotic Elliot Carlin (Jack Riley), milquetoast Marine veteran Emil Peterson (John Fiedler) and shy, reserved Lillian Bakerman (Florida Friebus), an elderly lady who spent most of her sessions knitting.
Westphall connections to The Bob Newhart ShowEdit
- Several episodes of St Elsewhere feature a psych ward patient named Elliot Carlin, played by Jack Riley. Carlin - played by Riley - originally appeared in The Bob Newhart Show. Carlin also appeared in ALF.
- The Bob Newhart Show character of Jerry Robinson (Peter Bonerz) appeared in the season finale of Bob.
- Carol (Marcia Wallace), a character on The Bob Newhart Show, appeared as a secretary on Murphy Brown.
- On the reunion special, Howard Borden (Bill Daily) claimed to have had a dream in which he was astronaut Roger Healey, meaning that he actually dreamed the entirety of I Dream of Jeannie.
- Bob Newhart's character in The Bob Newhart Show, Bob Hartley, wakes up in the final episode of the otherwise unconnected show Newhart, revealing that entire show existed only as a dream.